Are you getting confused about what personal branding is?
Other than that, do you want to know 92% of people trust recommendations from individuals (even if they don’t know them) over brands?
Before we dive into this post, let’s understand what is personal branding.
Additional information : If you want to know what branding is, check out this post
What is Personal branding?
Personal branding is about how you want people to see you. It is an impression when they see you.
Building personal branding is like building a reputation.
It is like a feeling you want people to feel towards you.
Do you want people to see you as a confident individual? Smart? Hardworking? Fashionable?
Then the thing you did, say, the clothes you wear, the way you speak, and even the music you listen to have to align with how you want people to feel towards you.
Who can benefit from personal branding?
Public figure, Artist/Actor, Coach, Musician, Influencer, Service Provider and even real estate agency can benefit from personal branding.
How to create personal branding?
Find Your Passion
I am sure that many of your reading this article have or still are struggling with finding the right thing to do.
What is it that drives you?
What you enjoy doing so much that you don’t notice the time passing?
What did you enjoy doing as a child?
What am I good at? (do not be modest)
Is there a hobby that you can turn to business?
Is there something you are already trying to develop?
In whichever stage you are currently in and no matter how scary it is, power through and believe that millions of others feel the same way.
The first stage is really important therefore give yourself as much time as you need. Try to find the right match for your needs and something that makes you jump out of bed in the morning, your true passion.
Who Is Your Audience?
It is much easier to start building your personal branding by defining who are you trying to reach first.
Make a list as precise as possible and shape that group by as many characteristics you can think of.
Why is it important to know your target audience?
Because based on their structure you will be able to shape your story. You will know what type of personal branding to create and how to promote it.
Build Your Online Presence
Now that you know what your passion is and who is your audience, it is time to go online and reach out to them.
There are several steps you can complete in order to use the full potential of the online world that has removed the aspect of space. The whole world is at reach and spreading your message has never been easier.
- Create social media accounts
Depending on what your goal is, social media accounts can be very useful in gaining followers and making sure that a significant amount of people have seen and heard your message.
I would suggest to educate yourself on how to build successful social media accounts. You can search online for information or take a course.
- Build your website and email list
By having a website you are creating ultimate value for your goal. Again, this highly depends on the reason for developing personal branding but for the majority of you out there, the website would be a significant step.
Start by following the experts in your chosen area. Follow their blogs, social media platforms and engage with them.
Collaborate with people who create similar content. Don’t be scared to put yourself out there. Most importantly, be sure that your skill is worth sharing.
Connect with people from your desired industry. You can create connections both through social platforms and networking events.
Remember to nurture the world outside your computer screen. Work with others by either creating workshops, doing volunteer work, visiting events, meetups, etc.
Your personal brand is not just about what you have to say but how you say it so make sure to work on those skills as well when you are meeting with people.
Ready, Set, Launch
Now that you build a personal brand, the time has come to launch your product or service.
Do not forget to constantly work on all previous 4 steps. It is not enough to create your personal brand, you have to nurture it and as your career grows, reinvent it.
Now that we established how to build personal branding, let’s go over some tips and tricks in order to make this whole process as easy as possible.
Personal Branding Tips
- Build a relationship with your audience by communicating with them and having regular posts published.
- Be yourself, everyone else is taken. Do not try to fit in, say and do what you think is expected from you. Always keep in mind that what your audience wants and why they chose you is for who you are.
- Keep on educating yourself. The world is changing rapidly and keeping track of the new developments in the industry you chose is a must.
- Keep a detailed database of all your contacts.
- Give back in any way you can. This is not just important for your personal brand development but beneficial for the entire community.
- Be open to sharing your imperfections. This way you appeal more human and connected to others and also, you can inspire them by showing that everyone has their own battles to win.
- Live your personal branding. Just talking is easy and if not followed by showing that you believe what you say, your whole branding may be endangered.
- Create content that does not preach but teach your audience.
- Listen to your audience’s needs.
- Have your elevator pitch ready for every occasion.
- Set your short and long term goals and have them in a visible place so you do not forget where are you heading.
Why personal branding is important?
After reading this whole article and realizing that creating personal branding is not a one day job, you may start doubting the importance of it all.
The first and most important reason is that personal branding allows you to manage your own life and career without depending on other people or organizations.
If this is not enough, the other benefits are stronger connection with others, credibility, self-confidence, authenticity.
In conclusion, developing personal branding is a way for you to ensure your success in whatever you chose to do.
A side benefit that you can gain is that it also enriches your personal life, build your self-esteem and creates better contact with others.
It is worth an effort.